Whether you're staying home and social distancing with loved ones or hosting a virtual dinner party, sometimes, you just need a cocktail.
These two recipes are sure to get the party started and hopefully take the edge off a little.
A favorite at Chef Floyd Cardoz's Tabla, the Kachumber Cooler is perfect if your part of the world is starting to get (hai) garmi.
Kachumber Cooler (Recipe from Kitchn)
makes one cocktail
2 half-inch slices of cucumber
8 leaves fresh cilantro
2 quarter-inch slices of fresh green finger chili (any medium-mild chili, such as jalapeno or Anaheim can be substituted)
1 3/4 ounce gin (Tabla uses Plymouth)
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
Muddle cucumber, cilantro, and chili in a cocktail shaker or mixing glass until well broken and slightly mashed. Add gin, lime, and simple syrup and shake vigorously. Strain into a double rocks glass, half filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of cucumber.
Our NYC and Houston friends already know -- Pondicheri is one of the most innovative places to go for Indian food. The bar at Pondicheri NYC was the spot for many post-class hangs. Here is a cocktail you can tell yourself is healthy since you're drinking turmeric. It's yummy and may reduce post drinking puffiness -- but we nor Pondi are confirming...
Golden Mule (Recipe from Pondi's blog)
12 oz ginger juiceTurmeric Sugar Rim
4 oz (or 8 Tbsp) sugar
.5-1 oz (or 1-2 Tbsp) turmericCocktail:
4 oz (or 8 Tbsp) vodka
2 oz (or 4 Tbsp) ginger syrup
1 oz (or 2 Tbsp) lime juice
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
lime wheel or candied ginger for garnish
- Puree whole ginger pieces with skin on.
- Strain the pureed ginger through a fine mesh strainer. To get the most amount of juice, use the back of a spoon to push the puree through the strainer. Keep leftover ginger pulp in the fridge to be used in any cooking!
- Put sugar and ginger juice in an air tight container (ex: quart container). Shake it vigorously until blended every 10-15 minutes for one to two hours. Feel free to do it more often and longer if necessary because this is how the syrup is bonded. (Note: this syrup is not heated or boiled.)
- Store in refrigerator and shake before usage.
Turmeric Sugar Rim
- In a shallow small bowl (cereal or soup bowl) put the sugar & turmeric.
- Mix with spoon. Feel free to add less/more sugar/turmeric based on your liking.
- Set aside for later.
- Cut a lime wedge and run it around the lip of the glass.
- Dip the lip of the glass into the turmeric sugar and move around till it’s coated on thick.
- Measure each ingredient and put them in the shaker with ice.
- Shake till shaker feels icy.
- Strain the cocktail into two rocks glass.
- Add some ice to each glass.
- Top off with sparkling water (if you like your drinks stronger than put less sparkling water and vice versa).
- Garnish with lime wheel and/or candied ginger.